UPDATE – 19 April 2011 – I received an email from Johnny Air Cargo that taxes are included in their shipping fees. Nice, even with the taxes included they’re still cheaper that the big name couriers!
I’m a practical gadget and electronics enthusiast (technology junky). I get excited about consumer electronics easily and it frustrates me when those gadgets are only available from abroad, specifically, in the US. If I buy from the US, I’m forced to pay an unbelievable shipping cost because of international shipping. I’ve been shopping online for a decade already and I’ve written a short, but helpful guide on how to shop online and buy items abroad here.
In this article, I want to give some much earned attention to my favorite shipping service from the US: Johnny Air Cargo Retail Padala.
To get some information about the history of Johnny Air Cargo (JAC), visit there About page here. Johnny Air Cargo Retail Padala is their service for shipping items from the United States to the Philippines. Well, it’s not as simple as that. They offer more. They do the following for you:
- Shop and Ship – You shop online then send the item to their office. They then ship the item to you.
- Card-Free Shop and Ship – You tell what you want to buy, they buy and ship it to you. You pay for and get the item(s) (shipping cost included) at their Philippine branch. Saves you from using your credit card online.
- Air Consolidation – You buy a lot of stuff from different sellers. You send them all to JAC and they will wait for all the items to arrive before they send it to you in one consolidated package.
- Sea Consolidation – a.k.a. Balikbayan box – This service is for bulk items and it takes the longest time to get to the Philippines. If you are shipping bulk items, and you can wait a couple of months for the items to arrive, this is the service for you.
For details about their services, go to http://johnnyair.com/?page=82.
Now, I’m going to share my most recent personal experience with Johnny Air Cargo Retail Padala.
A couple of weeks ago, I ordered some items from Amazon and had them shipped to me. Even though Johnny Air Cargo Retail Padala’s website stated an average of 2 weeks for items to arrive, within 10 days I got my items.
Here’s what happened in chronological order:
Thursday, March 3, 2011 – I ordered my items from Amazon.com. I emailed my contact in JAC, Analyn Diego, that I have some items to ship. I gave her the order details so she will know what items to expect.
Monday, March 7, 2011 – All the items arrived at JAC’s New York Office. Some items arrived sooner (see screenshot below). Same day, they shipped it to the Philippines.
Thursday, March 10, 2011 – My items arrived in JAC’s Philippines Headquarters.
Friday, March 11, 2011 – The items are forwarded to their Megamall branch where I usually pick them up. You can specify which branch to have your items forwarded to.
Saturday, March 12, 2011 – I claimed my items, paying only Php1,715.00 or USD40.00 for shipping a 4-pound package. If I had the items shipped through Fedex, I would have spent USD129.00 for shipping PLUS taxes! Need proof? Check the screenshot of Fedex shipping cost calculator below:
Here are some tips to get the best out of Johnny Air Cargo Retail Padala:
- IF it will be your first time to use JAC Retail Padala, get in touch with JAC Retail Padala representatives before you order and send them the items you bought. This way they can create a record for you and watch out for your items. I opted to call them first to introduce myself, and also to get a more personal interaction with them. Afterwards, I sent them an email.
- Email them immediately after you buy your items. Don’t wait after a week. It would be a safe bet that they receive a lot of items daily, better email them ahead so they can look out for your package.
- Let them know which branch you want your items shipped. Visit this link for their branches.
- Always keep in mind the number of days to ship from the store you bought the items to JAC’s offices. The formula for computing how many days to receive your item is:
Total Shipping days = Shipping days from Seller to JAC US +
Shipping days from JAC to Philippines HQ +
Days from JAC Phil. HQ to your preferred branch for pickup
- If you’re buying from Amazon.com, avail of PRIME Membership. PRIME members get free US shipping of eligible items, AND 2-day shipping (standard is 3-8 days). You also get unlimited instant videos. Get more information about Amazon PRIME membership here.
Johnny Air Cargo Retail Padala is an affordable and relatively fast shipping service. They give Filipinos an opportunity to get the products available only in the US. Now, we tech junkies won’t have to wait months before getting the latest gadgets, it will just be a couple of weeks.